The Weekly NE Ohio Crop Weather Report – December 29, 2009 gives an excellent summary of 2009 along with some lessons learned.
A lot of valuable lessons were learned in 2009 :
- Dealing with high moisture corn – some grain bins may need to be purchased in the future.
- The need for testing corn for toxins may be required in the future – Mycotoxins, Don(Vomitoxins), Ochratoxin, Full Screen
- Soybean Aphids – Plan for spraying- Ohio Area
Planning for 2010
- Spend more time in the field – looking for pests and answers
- Spend the time to determine the best seed for your specific field conditions.
- Need to soil test before next year
- Know your soils potential
- Know the areas of poor fertility
- Keep a log on each field
Once again, read the full article, its well worth your time.